by Erica Oakley, Humanitas Global Development
Climate change, floods, droughts, wars, growing populations, aging populations, and technology (to name a few) are all having huge impacts on development. The way we approach, strategize, implement and fund development is changing and will continue to change as we move further into the 21st century.
Over the next few months, we at the Humanitas Global Development blog want to create a global conversation around the 21st century challenges in development. We are looking for innovative solutions, ideas for sustainability, and approaches that build community demand to tackle pressing and emerging challenges such as:
- What should post-MDG development account for and what do we risk missing?
- How should we address water and sanitation needs for growing populations? What's worked and what hasn't worked?
- What are the next major challenges in terms of gender equality and how should they be tackled?
- What are the main challenges and what should be the next set of goals for early childhood development and education?
- How will we address the shifting global food demands reflecting a growing middle class? What impact will this have on our natural resources, food production and distribution processes and health?
- What will be the impact of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s on a growing elderly population around the world? And what innovative responses, policies and research endeavors are we seeing?
- How are communities responding to the increased burden of non-communicable diseases such as diabetes? What are the lessons learned?
- What should be done to tackle the challenges and problems caused by climate change - from the impacts of floods and droughts to increased tumultuous weather?
This list is not exhaustive. There are many more changes to 21st century development not listed above. We’d like to hear your perspective on emerging issues and how you think the global community can address these challenges...and many more.
Please email me at oakleye(at)humanitasglobal.com with a topic that you’d like to write on and I’ll send you more information. Help us make this an engaging and intriguing conversation on how we can tackle development in the 21st century!